Once again I have the great privilege of being selected to speak at WordCamp Kansas City 2018. This will be my 5th consecutive year as a speaker.
My topic this year is “Advanced Custom Fields for Coders“. At past WordCamps the ACF talks have always been for non-coders. ACF is a great plugin for everyone to extend their web sites, but if you are a coder you can really do some amazing things. I’ve only got roughly 45 to 50 minutes and a lot to cover, so I will assume those attending have used ACF previously and know at least some rudimentary PHP coding a WordPress plugin development. I’m not going to go into any detail on exactly what ACF is or demonstrate any of the usual stuff.
What I plan to cover is:
- Extending ACF with Read Only Fields
- Advanced field validation
- Using ACF forms on the front end of your web site
- ACF and the REST API
This will be a live demonstration and not a slide-show presentation. I will be using ACF:Pro, but my code will work with the free version as well. I am putting together a hand-out with links to my code and answers to some common ACF coding questions, so if you have any questions you’d like to see answered, please shoot me an email.
- Advanced Custom Fields – www.advancedcustomfields.com/
- Advanced Custom Fields: Field Snitch – wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-custom-fields-field-snitch/
- ACF to REST API – wordpress.org/plugins/acf-to-rest-api/
- ACF Option Pages – wordpress.org/plugins/acf-option-pages/